Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Do the Ads Add Up?

As the democratic campaign continues to intensify, the candidates keep dishing out political ad after political ad. Today alone, Clinton has released five new ads which are scheduled to air in Pennsylvania. Each ad adopts a slightly different strategy. In one, Clinton is featured as a child, with her father in Pennsylvania. Why? The Pennsylvania primary is coming up, and this ad stresses Clinton’s Pennsylvania roots.

Two other ads feature Pennsylvania’s Governor Ed Rendell and Michael Nutter, mayor of Philadelphia, saying positive things about Clinton. These ads show that two prominent Pennsylvania leaders support Clinton, and imply that the general public should follow their leaders.

In yet another ad, Clinton addresses “the problem with Bush’s economy.” She says: “The Bush economy is like a trapdoor. Too many families are one pink slip, one missed mortgage payment, one medical diagnosis away from falling through and losing everything. The oil companies, the predatory student loan companies, the insurance companies and the drug companies, have had seven years of a president who stands up for them. I intend to be a president who stands up for all of you.” This ad, while not directly linked to Pennsylvania, speaks to the large portion of Pennsylvanians struggling to make ends meet.

Her final ad is intended to appeal to the Hispanic population of Pennsylvania. Entitled “Nuestra Amiga,” or “Our Friend,” the ad describes how Clinton will aid the Hispanic community. “Our voice and our vote will elect the next President of the great country. Our candidate is Hillary Clinton because she respects our culture and understands the problems that affect our community. Millions of Hispanic families live with the fear of not having health insurance. The economic crisis and the cost of living are of concern to all of us. Hillary is our friend and will help us. Let’s vote for Hillary on April 22nd and we will have a better life. We are with you!”

Obama, as well, has been shelling out ad after ad, which are also intended to appeal to a wide variety of people.

I recently participated in a little experiment of my own. Jay Hyman, a professional director of music videos, Rob Tomoro, song writer, and “local Beloit Pop Star” Nicole Waters, teamed up to produce a music video supporting Obama. In order to collect footage of “excited young people for Obama,” they came to Beloit College.



This event was shamelessly promoted before it took place, with fliers asking “Do you love Obama? Do you want to be on national T.V.? Then come show your support for Obama and be in an Obama music video!” Obama fanatics and curious students alike rallied at Middle College, and followed the directions of Hayman.

In a large crowd, students were directed to sing “It’s Our Time Now,” “dance around,” and be energetic. “You’re a star!” “You’re beautiful!” “You’re wonderful!” “More energy!” cried Hyman.

It was painful. But, I figured that, since I was going to look ridiculous “on national T.V.” anyways, I might as well enjoy it. So, I danced around, played air guitar, and made a complete fool of myself.

Somewhere in the middle of take five, I became alarmed when I realized that I was actually getting into the whole thing. Lyrics like “If life is worth living, it’s worth giving all that you’ve got… it’s our time now…” actually got to me.

The subliminal messages, and even not-so-subliminal messages, are frighteningly powerful. You may think: “I’m smarter than that; I am not influenced by commercials or marketing. I know that what I see on T.V., read on the internet, and hear on the radio is not real.”

But, think carefully. What is McDonald’s slogan? I bet you know it. Finish this sentence: “There’s no wrong way to eat…” Finish the lyrics to this song: “Give me a sign, hip me…”

Those annoying little marketing gimmicks are more effective than you think. It’s possible that those annoying little campaign commercials may be too.

No comments: