Monday, March 24, 2008

The “Isms” and the Election



“I don't pick Hillary because she is a woman and I am a woman. I don't pick Barack because he is black and I am black. I pick Barack because he is a man of substance." -Alice Thomas, law professor at Howard University

This moment in time is historical indeed: a black man is running against a white woman, vying for the title of “democratic presidential candidate.” On the republican end of the stick sits John McCain, a 72 year old white man with George W. Bush patting him on the back. For the first time in history, it is possible that an African-American or a woman may rule the United States. Are sexism and racism visible in this election? So far, little has been said, at least by the media, on this topic. Yet, both “isms” are alive and well. As an article in the Washington Post, A Vote of Allegiance, questions: “Sexism and racism—which ism is deeper?”

One must consider the serious implications of this question. Yes, racism and sexism still exist, and to a certain degree, are playing a part in the current presidential race. How many tee-shirts have you seen proclaiming: “Life’s a bitch, don’t vote for one?” What about the “Obama and Osama: different names, same B.S.” tee-shirts? I personally have seen far more sexist comments about Hilary than racist comments about Obama. In fact, until I did some digging on the internet about five minutes ago, I had not seen any at all. I know that they exist, however, and am greatly saddened by this.

It is also important to note that Obama is not the first African-American to run for president of the United States, nor is Clinton the first woman to run (See a list.) Yet, many have argued that this is “the first time that is plausible” for a woman or African-American to “actually become president.”

As Alice Thomas says, my loyalty (and my vote) will go to the person whom I feel is best equipped to make wise decisions concerning the future of my country. I am not taking skin color, gender, or even age, into consideration when placing my vote. I wish more of my fellow Americans would do the same.

No comments: